I can’t get over this scene, haha. I love The Big Bang Theory.
Firstly, apparently (according to The Joy of Cooking) this isn’t technically a ‘bisque’ since it doesn’t have a seafood base, but that’s what the recipe calls it, so that’s what I’m calling it!
This recipe is from The Food Network’s website. I’ve been in a grilled cheese mood, and what goes better with grilled cheese than tomato soup??
Things I did differently than the recipe:
- I left the bacon out, I wasn’t in a bacon mood!
- I added about two tablespoons of olive oil to the veggies at the beginning, in addition to the butter—the flour was getting too sticky.
- The recipe calls for 40 oz. of chicken stock, but since I hate having excess I simply bought three 14 oz cans of chicken stock, putting me 2 oz. over what the recipe calls for.
- To make up for the extra chicken stock, I added a bit more heavy cream at the end, about 1/8 c extra.
- I also didn’t strain the puree, since I don’t mind chunky soups.
Forgot to add:
- I put two stalks of celery and two carrots in, instead of just one of each.
- I also added dried basil in place of the parsley that you’re supposed to simmer in it with the thyme and bay leaf.
What else I’d like to do differently next time:
- I think just two cloves of garlic would be plenty for this stew, it’s veeery rich and it took SO much effort to prepare them, haha. Thank goodness for eHow, or I’d never have known how in the first place.
- In place of the heavy whipping cream I might want to use fat free condensed milk for health reasons. 🙂
- Lastly, it wasn’t as tomato-y as I wanted, so an additional can or even half can of tomatoes would be perfect, I think!
I hope your endeavors are as tasty as mine were! 🙂 Here’s the final product, topped off with a couple grilled cheese sandwiches and a mini Coke!